Monday, October 10, 2011

A little bit more of my story...

So I know I stopped blogging there for a while (graduating nursing school, getting married, moving across the country...2010 was a busy year!!), and I realize some of you might feel a little bit out of the loop with everything...where we are headed, whats in our hearts etc. So here I go!...

Unless you were my husband, family or close friend you might not know that I am OBSESSED with babies. and pregnancy. and new mums.
With that being said, I have always loved babies. Not only that, but I have found I am just naturally really good at it. When I was 14 I took the official Red Cross babysitters course, and finally got to get PAID for what I loved doing...looking after the little ones in the neighborhood while their daddy's and mamas went out on long needed date nights.

Then at 15 I read the book "The Hospital By the River" by Dr. Catherine Hamlin, and felt a strong call for medical missions work on my heart. The story about women in Ethiopia who developed obstructed labor, lost their babies and then were left with fistulas broke my heart.

Then in nursing school I helped deliver a baby. And fell in love. Noah always tells people, "when Amy would come home from a clinical in labor and delivery, she glowed. Seriously, she would be glowing". I would help mama after mama through her delivery, then get to go sit in the nursery with all the newborns and rock them. Seriously people - HEAVEN ON EARTH.

But I couldn't shake the sad experiences I had. Women who didn't have any prenatal care and would deliver dead babies. Women who started to hemorrhage and their babies would become hypoxic. In those cases, my nursing skills failed me...and we would hand these scared women over into the skilled and compassionate hands of the obstetricians.

All of these experiences, skills and memories were tucked away in my heart. God just needed to connect them all. And he did....in the car, 13 hours into the drive between Arizona and Texas.
--->
Noah and I were listening to a podcast by Kris Vallotton. We love listening to anything that comes out of Bethel, so we downloaded a bunch onto our ipod.
We started listening to one titled, "Women - God's secret weapon". It rocked my boat man. Then all of a sudden, tears started to pour forth. I felt stronger than almost ever before the presence of the Lord. And I heard him say to me, "This is what I am calling you to. Hurting women. Their children. Their unborn babies. Love them, empower them, encourage them. Care for their babies. care for their health."

So I know that my husband and my children will ALWAYS come first in my life, but I also know that God is calling me to make the time and space in my life for women. and their babies.

I know it will look different in different seasons, but right now I feel strongly that God wants me to do further training. Right now I am praying about what that looks like, but I know I want to be able to deliver babies. I want to host a playgroup in my home for single mums. I want to work in public health policy to advocate for improved maternal and infant health outcomes.

It is daunting, thinking of what lies ahead. But also, so so exciting. I am so blessed to have an INCREDIBLE husband who encourages me on this journey. He is my biggest supporter and fan. He pushes me on, reminding me of the intelligence and ability God has gifted me, and how I need to use it for the glory of God and what God has called me to do.

So folks, I hope you will pray for me. Pray God shows us the next step in the journey.

Also, I'd love to hear about what he is calling you to, and what YOU are passionate about!!!!



mmmm....babies....

No comments: