Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving...

"As we pause to thank Him for the blessings of the past year,
we must not forget to thank Him for the lessons we have learned through our difficult times.
We are not to be thankful for just the pleasant, easy things, but ALL things."

Noah and I road tripped to Iowa for a less than 24 hour period to spend thanksgiving with his family. We made the 5.5 hour drive down there just for the day since I had to work black friday. It was fun to get to share this holiday with him, and his family. Albeit, I have never watched football on thanksgiving before (probably won't again) and miss my family conversations of world events it was still special to see him with his family and watch their traditions. I am so thankful I am married to this most wonderful man, and that we have so many holidays ahead. I can't wait to make holiday traditions with our own children, and watch him be the most amazing dad.
I miss my family like crazy, but am thankful I have them to miss. I am thankful for unconditional love. I am thankful for my life. I did have a cry when I skyped them on thanksgiving. I felt so out of place at the Midwestern gathering....people reading books, watching football and playing video games. People didn't ask me about New Zealand, I think they think we drive horses and carts still. His Grandpa and Uncle didn't even know what the European Union was.....
I am so used to family conversations, prayer times, discussions about thankfulness and hours spent curled up on the couch drinking coffee looking at family photos or watching home videos. I went for a walk around the block with my love during the day, and we talked about it. He likened my feelings to culture shock. Which made sense since I felt like a fish out of water. Don't get me wrong, Noah's family is lovely and care about eachother, but they go about life and family in a different way than I do.
The joys of marriage....
We hauled back after dinner on thursday to get back home for work friday. However, I got called friday morning (5am!!) to see if I wanted to be canceled and ofcourse it was a YES!
Noah was such a trooper and spent {!!8!!} hours shopping with me. We got pretty much all of our christmas presents bought, plus a TV (our first ever!) and an espresso maker - its awesome!!!
check it out, a Nespresso :)



Noah also snuck away to Macy's to buy me an unknown piece of Jewelry, which I am dying to see but don't get to until christmas. boo.
We hit some unbelievable sales, it was so fun. Its the first time ever for me, and for both of us as a married couple, to be able to spend some money on eachother. Thanks to my great job, and hard core budgeting skills we were able to get some treats for ourselves, the house and friends without putting anything on our credit card and we can still save our budgeted amount.
Hubs also got me a new purse and wallet, eeeeee, for my birthday which is in three weeks!
So grateful for a good job and for a husband who loves to spoil me - and budgets so he can!!
I think I'm going to go enjoy a home made vanilla latte now....wish you could come over for one too!

No comments: