Thursday, November 17, 2011

God gave me you

"God gave me you for the ups and downs, God gave me you for the days of doubt" - have you heard this country song on the radio? I love it. I love it because it reminds me so much of my own love and marriage. Before I got married I adored Noah because he was sweet, caring, thoughtful, strong, committed, didn't believe in divorce and had dreams that coincided with mine. But I didn't really think about the hard times. We didn't really have many during our dating months. We were so in love and everything was wonderful. I was finishing nursing school, he was going to start Grad school and we were going to move away and start our life together on our own. And then reality hit - I had no job, we had no money, we had no furniture and we had no family. What about our goals to pay off our student loans in two years? what about our dreams of intentional community? I fell into clinical depression with homesickness, grief and who knows what else. It was pretty bad and it was a tough first six months. But man, God gave me Noah. He gave me him for those up and down days, and for when I doubted about what we were doing in freezing cold Minnesota and what God was doing with my nursing. He loved me, treasured me and cared for me when I was an emotional black hole. I think this is the real beauty of marriage. When life gets hard, your marriage gets stronger. You fall more in love. You realize how deeply you need this person you vowed your life to. Its not just about the fun of living with someone and falling asleep with someone, its about this stitching that forms between the two of you during moments of sadness, fear, vulnerability, honesty and self sacrifice. Its so, so precious. It is seriously the best decision I have ever made and will ever make (besides having Jesus as my savior!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCf2PoTuh4Q&ob=av3e

No comments: