Thursday, September 6, 2012

Paging Dr. H




See this picture? Its me standing in front of the Dunedin School of Medicine at the University of Otago. My dad took it after I interviewed for a place in medical school. I was crazy nervous, but thought I would be facetious and get one of me 'praying' for a spot :)
On monday I found out I was accepted. So I guess God heard my prayers!

A lot has brought me to this place.
When I was 15 I read a book called the Hospital By the River. It was about a husband & wife team who were doctors, moved to Ethiopia and changed the lives of thousands of women who suffered from birth injuries. I decided I wanted to do that. Then someone told me you couldn't be a mother and a doctor, that I had to choose. I didn't want to give up being a mother so I decided to do nursing. Then I met all of these incredible women who were also doctors. They worked part time and had wonderful relationships with their kids. They were fulfilled and passionate and challenged every day. I then found Mothersinmeicine.com which is a forum of women in medicine all around the world, and how they manage to make it work. It inspired me.
Most of all, my husband inspired me. He encouraged me to pursue my dreams, and pushed me when I got scared/nervous/worried. He wanted this so bad for me, and his support has meant the world to me. I am here, because of him.

I thought I would share with you what I shared with the panel regarding what nursing has taught me and the type of doctor I want to be.

"Working as a nurse the past three years has shown me more than ever that I want to be a doctor. I have discovered that I genuinely love working with people and seeing their quality of life improved. However, I have found that there is something missing. While I love the bedside role of nursing, I found myself longing to master the pathology of my patients diseases and their treatment from a scientific perspective. As a result, I see medicine as the only career that will allow me to both care for patients and remain true to my interests and abilities. Blending these passions as a doctor will also enable me to make a bigger difference in their lives, by taking on that more decision making role, and assuming the overall responsibility of what kind of care that patient will receive.

Secondly, I have seen what it means to to care for patients, and what it means to treat the whole person. an effective doctor can do in not just improving physical health but improving a patients mental, emotional and spiritual health as well. When you improve the wellbeing of someone it not only affects them, but their family as well. Which I believe has a ripple affect into the community, which is rewarding and why medicine seems really appealing to me. I have also noticed that the prevention and treatment of disease is truly a joint effort between a doctor and the patient. This type of relationship is one that involves trust, and interpersonal skills, which I believe I have and why I want to take on the role of becoming a doctor.

Finally, everyday I put my patients first, but I feel like I work in a system that does not. Whilst the New Zealand health care system provides much better access to care than the U.S, ensuring a health system is functioning well has a much greater impact on a patient than just one provider. Medicine is appealing to me, as beyond the 1:1 patient contact and interpersonal relationships of your own practice, there is a place for health care policy development, academic involvement and facilitating medical research. Integrating all of these spheres into a working life would allow me to operate in a much larger scope than I ever could currently as a nurse. This would allow for a fulfilling career, one that would never be short of challenges and opportunities to keep me engaged – which in end, will cause be to be a better caregiver down the road."

Yes I have fears and the thought of moving to New Zealand in six months, starting in a whole new city, finding Noah a job, getting through the hefty medical study and fitting babies into the mix is TERRIFYING. However, I want to look back at my life and know that Noah and I took risks. That we didn't take the easy road (what is safest financially, what is the least time consuming, what doesn't involve as much sacrifice).Because the easy road leads to a diminished life. with regrets.

The ROAD NOT TAKEN however, leads to growth. character. depth. fulfillment. passion. trust. faith.
And a beautiful, well-lived life.

I hope you will partner with us in this crazy adventure. I hope it encourages you to run towards your dreams, and to take the time to discover who you are and what you have to offer the world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amyyy!
Wow, I am SO excited you made this move.
I am SO happy that you have a life partner in Noah who can support your dreams and encourage you to take those risks together and believes that you are amazing enough to handle children and being a doctor great enough to go ahead with it. :)
I am SO stoked that you both have Jesus at your core too, to keep you both stable in the love triangle that you both have with God.
I am just SUPER proud of you for going ahead with this.
Your 'blurb' about becoming a doctor is inspiring and beautiful.
I am SO super excited for this adventure you are starting, you already bring joy to so many peoples lives personally. Any patient that gets you as a doctor will be truely blessed Amyz.

Keep the updates coming.
ox